Well, finally something interesting has happened.

I haven't written about the one week heat wave we have been having because all one can do is hunker down and endure--though some people seem to think complaining about the heat can help.

Anyway it is over and we now have the cooling breezes back. Today the wind was quite heavy so I decided to snorkel instead of my normal exercise swimming.

In just a few seconds when I was still close in I saw what looked like a child's toy, a waterlogged sponge fish. It was bright yellow with distinct black rings here and there on the body. There were long growths sticking out all over; some looked like fins, some like tentacles. Cool I thought, this is the strangest thing I have seen snorkeling. I watched it for awhile and then moved on. About 10 meters away there was another one. They were about 12 inches long and 6 inches high I would estimate. All in all a good session with a quantity of fish and other sites including a yellow, lacy sea weed that I don't remember seeing before.

So I came back to search for a photo on the internet. Nothing I found compares; if I had an underwater camera I would certainly have had a prize photo opportunity.

The shape and design of the first photo are about right but the colors were very vivid--like the second photo except more yellow than orange. If any divers have a photo taken in Greece I would certainly love to see it.

P.S. The Latin name is Aplysia dactylomela and these photos are from http://www.seaslugforum.net/
Cheers

3 comments:

At July 03, 2007 12:13 PM admin said...

Hi Michael thanks for your nice comment on my blog (living in Greece)>
My travel to the Greek islands.This week I will start writing about Paros I was there from 71-76 Good old years ,I want you to tell me if the Kafeneio of Stelakis and the Disco Psarades are stil there.
email me at blog@in2greece

Thanks
George

 
At July 11, 2007 5:04 PM Nathan said...

Did you touch it? Sea Hare's tend to release a cloud of ink if they feel threatened. My invertebrate zoology class found a couple of sea hares and a few of us got inked when we picked them up.

Anywho, looks like a great place to be snorkeling.

 
At September 12, 2007 12:22 PM Harry Blalock said...

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your comment on my blog about the nudibranchs. I enjoyed reading about your experience with the sea hares. Wish I could help you with a picture or ID, but it doesn't sound like anything I've seen. Keep looking!

 

Post a Comment


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Facebook me!

expatriate