Another holiday today.

Karin and I thought we could take in the festivities and run some errands in Parikia. Wrong: the shops were all closed.

So we just relaxed and had our own day off.








This day is set aside for blessing the sea.











A blessed cross brought from the Ekatontaplyini (Church of 100 Doors) is thrown into the water and young men compete to retrieve it.




This is a dress rehearsal.








They are off!















One Winner: The one in front with the cross in his hand.



I will have to ask what they win--other than fame and glory.














2 comments:

At January 06, 2006 10:11 AM GreekGoddess said...

Just saying hi. I'm a Greek expat in USA and I really like your posts about paros.. I wa there about 5 years ago during an August 15th weekend :)

 
At January 06, 2006 10:23 AM niki said...

Hi. My name is Niki and I live in Romania, an orthodox country just like Greece, and the religious tradition is the same here. They threw the cross into the water and young and older men jumped in to get it. The problem was that today was very cold outside, but I believe that if you have faith in God, the temperature doesn't really matter.

 

Post a Comment


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Facebook me!

expatriate