For the last few days walks along the beach have been especially interesting. The combination of consistently high North winds and the tides, which tend to be monthly here rather than daily, have produced low water conditions, like a tidal basin. In other words the normally covered sea floor is uncovered. We see many forms of life, plant and animal, we usually only see while snorkeling. No fish though.

When I first came to Paros I read that eating sea urchins was a delicacy. Only the reddish brown ones were eatable though not the black ones. Over the years I have seen a zillion black ones and only one or two brown ones. Today on the uncovered rocks there were a great many small brown ones. Does than mean a gourmet dish on my horizon? I am not sure.

Take the row from a dozen sea urchin salt pepper lime juice butter or olive oil. Saute the mix stir gently at very low heat cool and serve with crackers or toste. Caviar anyone.Oh ya wear gloves when harvesting and cleaning kind of a no brainer huh.I like mine off the reef not from under the dock.

In other words, its an acquired taste.

The following is for bloggers only.
I won big over at BlogExplosion so I decided to share the wealth.
If you are not yet a BlogExplosion member, I will give you 25 credits
to open an account using my referral link. After your free registration
email me with your BE user name then I will transfer the credits to your account.
Just click on the banner or use my BE user name: Paroshep

Thanks to golfwidow for this idea.

4 comments:

At March 16, 2007 10:56 AM Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that I would want to eat them - of any color - but the shell collection is certainly beautiful, although too many of the black ones can turn into an urchin problem.

 
At March 16, 2007 11:14 AM Nick said...

Do you have any pictures of Parikia bay with low water levels - would be interesting to see...thanks for the updates...

 
At March 17, 2007 1:34 AM Michael said...

Pamela, I enjoyed your post.

Nick, in high winds I don't venture very far on my moped. Also Parikia harbour is sheltered from North winds so there wouldn't be as much effect.

 
At March 17, 2007 6:42 PM Omni said...

What lovely colors those shells have!! :-)

 

Post a Comment


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Facebook me!

expatriate