I may have mentioned before that I bought a new camera a few weeks ago. I really like it but I am slow in learning to use it. Last night it came into its own; I managed to get several shots of lads leaping after several years of unsuccessful trying with my old digital camera.

The first photo shows the fire jumping circle in the middle and the free food and drink in the back.

Read previous descriptions of this annual event starting with last year's post or go the the Paros Festivals page on our web site.






















1 comments:

At June 26, 2008 1:03 AM Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for the comment on my blog. Interesting photos too.

I can't find much on Paros Festival and its origins on the web, but it sounds very pagan (May Day wreaths and all).

Iranian-Zoroastrian Fire Festival of "Jashne Sadeh" and "Charshanbe Souri" are not pagan at all and have very specific meaning. They also occur at two different times every year.

Also, Fire has a very special significance in Zoroastrianism. I have a few posts (and external links) regarding this on my blog, in addition to the one for which you left a comment.

Red Wednesday Fire Festival - and -
Norooz Iranian New Year - Part III

 

Post a Comment


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Facebook me!

expatriate