Is this ancient Paros symbol now a wireless antenna?


Last year I noticed a small news article that wireless broadband access would be brought to Parikia center. I thought at the time "I'll believe it when I see it." So I was very pleasantly surprised this morning when I read an announcement in Paros Life that already Parikia and Naoussa, our two largest towns, had full coverage and the rest of the island, including our Aliki would be following.

"The speed is currently 2 Mbps with plans to eventually upgrade the whole system further to speeds of 4 Mbps and later 16 Mbps and to set up additional aerials to expand the hotspot areas to gradually cover other parts of the island including Lefkes, Kostos, Golden Beach, Aliki and other areas. "

This is such terrific news. Currently our broadband access is either DSL over a land line or very expensive cell phone broadband. Of course, I don't know how expensive the wireless will be but based on the fact that the local government is a sponsor I am sure it won't be too expensive. Certain services such as tourist information is supposed to be free, also free VOIP using Skype.

So this will not only make internet life so much better for the current residents, I think it will usher in a whole new era of work-at-home or in our case "work at the beach" e-commerce entrepreneurs. (That link is to one of several posts that I have already written on the subject.) Next month a friend from England who does computer programming and web site development is moving to Paros to run an internet cafe and scuba equipment rental during the season. Of course, the fact that he is marrying a Greek girl may have something to do with it.

I have also posted before about setting up a wedding planning business, maybe I ought to add relocation planning. Or I could expand my Paros workshops to include work at home internet business.

But I have a problem. Moving my laptop away from the phone plug and out to the veranda or occasionally over to the village taverna will require some sort of sun screen to reduce the glare. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please comment.

Read more about our Paros lifestyle on our full service Paros web site.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Facebook me!

expatriate